National Homebrew Day with Expert Panel/Bottle Sharew
Threshold Brewing Celebrates May 7 National Homebrew Day with Expert Panel/Bottle Share
For some, homebrewing is more than a hobby – it’s a passion, maybe even borderline-obsession, and the number of brew clubs, competitions and resources available these days have helped launch many a backyard brewer on to more lofty pursuits.
That was true for Threshold Brewing founder/owner Jarek Szymanski, with Threshold being his first stab at brewing on a professional level after a decade of focused homebrewing. But making a jump like that doesn’t happen without a network of support, which Portland fortunately has in spades.
In celebration of National Homebrew Day (Saturday, May 7), Threshold Brewing in SE Portland invites local homebrewers to join them for an expert panel discussion and open call homebrew bottle share. The panel will consist of 5 Oregon homebrew leaders and professionals ranging from business/brewery owners to competition winners to brew club representatives. The panel will be moderated by Threshold owners/founders Jarek and Sara Szymanski.
- Zach Vestal, Portland U-Brew/Unicorn Brewing owner
- Jess Hardie, current Mashing Barriers Intern at Von Ebert Brewing, long-time homebrewer and in the midst of planning her own brewery.
- Michele Wonder, BJCP judge and multiple award-winning homebrewer/advocate, co-founder of the Women’s International Beer Summit
- Alex Graham, Green Dragon Brewing member, BJCP judge and former brewer at Montavilla Brew Works
- Mark Gillette, F.H. Steinbart manager and Portland Brewers Collective member
Expect a lively discussion around homebrew dos and don’ts, how to level up or go pro and what a brew club can offer, plus some excellent networking/sampling with Portland’s homebrewing community.
No cost of entry, just bring your questions and/or your favorite homebrew to share and we’ll celebrate how so many of us got our start in this beautiful world of craft beer!
The homebrew bottle share will kick off at 2 p.m. and the panel discussion will begin at 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 7 at Threshold’s SE Portland taproom.